Monday, November 12, 2012

October 29 - Heading home

Today we got a new breakfast! After 2 weeks of eggs and toast, we got pancakes!  Everyone was so excited!  And that is all my journal says.  LOL  We had to say goodbye to the interns first, they were heading out for a short vacation to Jinja.  Lots of hugs and tears as we said farewell to this amazing group of ladies.  : (


We left at 11 to go to the airport, had some odd food as we waited.  The airport is where we first heard about Sandy, so there was some wondering if we'd make it home.  One of our team was from New Jersey, so we weren't sure if she would be able to make it or not.   The guys were still up for ministry and had opportunity to pray for this UN soldier from Ghana.  We had to say goodbye to 3 more of our team here who had later flights.

Finally boarded and flew to Ethiopia.  It seems that our last stop there landed us in the ghetto section of the airport, cuz where we were this time was really nice.  As we headed to our gate, we suddenly heard a familiar voice!  Chris O!!  His flight the day before had been cancelled because of the hurricane I guess, so he had been put on our flight.  That was fun running into him.  This was the long flight, so it was awesome that it wasn't full and a few of us had the chance to stretch out across 3 seats and get some rest.  We touched down in Rome for a re-fuel, so I can sort of say I've been there.  : )  Not quite the way I wanted though. There was an autistic kid a few rows back that kept vocalizing loudly, so that was hard, but I understand.  I had headphones to help me sleep.

Landed in Toronto finally and a number of us didn't get our bags.  A guy took our luggage tags and went and found most of them, so we headed on through the US Customs (in Canada?)  and got some "real food" - The final flight to San Fran and we were almost home.  Our ride was waiting for us, so we hopped the Bethel van and headed north.  We stopped in Vacaville and ate at In-n-Out.  I'm not a huge fan, but a real cheeseburger was wonderful after 2 weeks of Ugandan food!  I finished my double burger before the boys, but then they went back for seconds, and I did not.  They were sick after that.  : )  Here is a pic of the aftermath.  We fell asleep in the van after that, arrived at the church after 8 and went our separate ways.

It was a beautiful trip, sad to see it end, but I know it won't be my last.  I know without a doubt that God has built me for Uganda, everything makes sense there and it feels like home to me.  I will be back.  Thank you Papa for this amazing opportunity, what a precious gift You have given to me!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Jessi! It was so fun reading all of these stories from your trip. They were really interesting, and some very touching. Thank you for sharing. I'll talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete