Sunday, November 4, 2012

Oct 14-16 2012

Travel has been long and hard.  I woke up early Sunday to go out with my 2 best friends before I left.  I was nervous waiting to get in the van for the drive to San Fran airport.  I don't know anyone on this trip.

After my friends left, the team gathered and took communion together and loaded up for the drive. On the drive I began chatting with some of the people in the van and we all just hit it off.  Michael, Judith, Juho, Jacob, Richard, and our leaders, Chris and Stefanie Overstreet.  This was the small crew we started the journey with.  At each airport we added more members until we were a team of 23.

At the airport, we had some trouble getting our boarding passes, they'd somehow gotten voided.  Eventually that was straightened out and we headed in.  Met Sarah, Katrina, and Candy at this airport.  I ate one last cheeseburger at the airport and then we sat around and waited for our 11:00 pm flight.

Landed in Washington DC to a beautiful sunrise.  Added Charlie and Lance to the team.  I got to have a couple Auntie Anne's garlic pretzels here, I love those things!  We loaded up for the 13 hr flight to Ethiopia which was just no fun at all.  I couldn't sleep, there were no good movies to watch...  Landed at Addis Ababa to find a really ghetto airport where I laid on the floor and tried to nap, didn't work. When we started heading down to get on the plane, we passed a lady in a wheelchair being pushed by airport staff.  Chris stopped and asked if he could pray for her, and she ended up walking away from the wheelchair totally healed of her back pain!!  It has begun.

 Finally we loaded up and flew out to Entebbe, which meant I got excited and hyper because I was returning "home."  As I recognized the Ugandan landscape beneath me, I totally had that feeling that I was home.  :)

At the airport we met a few more team members and the Show Mercy staff members who took us to the coaster to drive to the HQ.  Driving down the Entebbe - Kampala road I was amazed at how different it is in just 2 years.  This is their 50 yr jubilee, the celebration of their independence from Britain.  They have been doing major cleanup and also I saw a lot of new buildings.  This is a nation on the rise!

Arrived at the Show Mercy base and were amazed at how nice it is!  They have created a beautiful haven for missionary teams to be able to rest up so that they can go out and serve.  They had an awesome team of intern girls here to help us out and show us the ropes.  We are so blessed to be in this place!  After we settled in a little, we walked a little ways down the road and met some local kids.  It was a short outing, but it felt so good to be back with the Ugandan people that I love so much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment