Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Update March 30

I just passed the '50 days to go' mark.  :)  If you've ever been out of country you might now the unreal feeling I have at this point.  Such a different place to be, it's difficult to even fathom.

I have sent an initial chunk of money to Alex already and building has begun on the house.  Yay!!  I wanted to get it started now to avoid too much "white tax" and so I didn't have to live too long without a bathroom.  lol - Also Alex told me it was best to get it done before the rainy season.  So far his internet has not been good enough to send me pictures, but as I receive them I will post.

I am excited about the possibilities of this trip.  I've realized with short term mission trips we often get more out of it than the people we went to see in terms of inner growth.  On my 3 previous trips I was with a group and was able to stay quiet and let the others do most of the talking to people.  I won't have that chance this time, so even though it will be a challenge, I am glad to be pushed out of my comfort zone so far.  I have been pursuing training all these years, time to get off the bench!!  Put me in coach!  I'm ready to play.  :)

I don't have a big plan of scheduled events.  I know that I will be able to go with Violet to the adult English classes she teaches and learn some Luganda, so I'm looking forward to that.  I hope I can spend some time with the kids at the school too, kids are always the best part right?  ;)  Other than that I want to meet people in the area and get a clearer picture of the needs in this village.  When I return full time I want to have a strategy for how I can best serve the people around me.  This time I won't have the resources to do much, but next time I hope I will.

This time will allow me to build a stronger bond with Alex and Violet and their two boys and brainstorm together with Jesus to discover what our future holds.  I have a huge vision in my head, but getting it down into a workable form will be helpful.  Some things require building time, so we will figure out how best to build what God has been showing me over the years.  I will probably give a more precise vision update when I get back.

I do not want to go build a ministry that depends on me.  That is pointless.  I want to do what I can to use the gifts God has given me to equip and train those around me, wherever I may be.  My goal here is to share whatever I have to share to help the people.  I hope to find good solid people that will join me in this mission.  I think about that old saying about "give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish, he'll eat for life."  That is pretty much what I am thinking.  I want to use my gifts to set something in motion that will continue on far past my time.  I will be in search of people that will be disciplers and prayers and worshipers and adoptive parents, and business people...  I want to help them help each other.  It's not about pouring money in so much as helping them see what they already have and utilize it.  As my current church says... "Find a need and meet it, find a hurt and heal it."  Everyone is capable of doing that.  :)

Overall I am excited to be back in the country I love.  I do not look forward to the long day of travel, but at least I'll have 3 months in between instead of the 2 week normal.  I have a 27 hr day on the way there and 33 hrs on the way back.  eek!

I would like to ask for prayers to cover this trip.  I wrestle to stay out of the fear zone as I head out alone.  I do feel very safe in the village and Alex and Violet are amazing guides, but there is risk always in a foreign land.  3 months is a long time.  I know that it will be so hard to come back too.  I would love to have people willing to pray for me any time I come to your mind.

Also when I return I will need to find a job ASAP as I am spending everything I have for this trip.  I am trusting God for finances all around.  For this trip and after.  I haven't worked since Christmas so add a new job to returning culture shock and jet lag....  ug.


If you have any questions, I'd love to share any answers I have.  PM me on Facebook is probably the easiest way to reach me.

Thank you to all who have shown support and interest in my mission.  I am so grateful for those who have believed in me and sown financially into this trip as well.


1 comment: